Fab and Assembly Status and Pictures
It has been nearly a year since I updated the status on the World's Fastest Sunbeam Wannabie. A lot has happened in that year. I have solved a few problems and created more. I learned about body work and painting: I will not quit my day job because I would starve to death doing either of these jobs. I finished the EFI manifold, fabricated a dual MAF air manifold, an alternator bracket that keeps the alternator down low, and modified the OEM engine control harness as well as fabricating the instrumentation harness. I wired everything using weather pack connectors to keep the salt out. I have fabbed the battery cables as well as some water transfer hardlines. I have fabricated a strongback to mount in the trunk to carry the relocated water tank and the battery box: it bolts through the rear frame members so is very secure. I modified the water tank for supply and return lines to and from the engine and added a radiator cap fitting for filling. I put a LOT of bondo on the car and had finished it to the best of my capabilities (which turns out is not very good). I primed the car using an etching primer then a gray primer. I painted the interior of the trunk a DuPont Snow White, the driver's compartment and roll cage with Grabber Blue and the exterior a Ford color, Russo Red (or it may be Rosso Red). In any case, it is RED! I have a fellow racer who does some graphics work making some of the graphics for me. I have obtained the number for the car and determined what class it will run in. The number is 1542 and the class is C / BFMS which means C engine (306 through 372 cubic inches) and Blown Fuel Modified Sport. If we go to the pictures, I'll talk more in detail there....
|Towing Apparatus||Roll Cage & Battery Box / Water Tank Mounting Holes|
|Finished Torker II Modified Carb Manifold||Mechanical Systems Views|
|Supplemental 10 Gallon Water Tank Plumbing||Wiring Harness' and Installations|
|Paint, from Etching Primer to Finish Coat|
What is left to do? Plenty, but in general, I need to acquire a 1989 - 1992 Muffstang with AOD tranny. I need to use the motor and trans for car checkout. I'll then rebuild the tranny and upgrade it with new cluches and a Transgo shift kit and valve body. I need to get a tranny blanket and flex plate shield. I need to get the new rear trans oil cooler, the fuel pump, fuel filter, efi regulator, lots and lots of AN fittings and hose ends, do some final water plumbing. I need to finsh the turbo air plumbing...ugh aludimum welding. I need to paint the windshield frame and the undersides of the hood and deck lid. Graphics (in work). Some braces for the windshield. A new fire bottle push to release cable for the 10 pound bottle. A myriad of small things. I need to get the fire suit, shoes and gloves (all the max rating) in giant size (Omar making these now adays?). Helmet. Seat belts.
I have finished the parachute release mechanism and it is pretty slick. I mounts to the center bar and is made such that I just have to jam my hand forward against it's lever and it releases. The engine fire bottle release pull is just below it so all in one motion, I can release the chute and fire botte contents. I am putting the driver's fire bottle release in a different place so as to not release it accidentally. I just keep nattering away at it until it is done. I am thinking I may also need some Weld Prostar wheels with a 5 or 6 inch width and 1 or 2 inch back spacing if they make such bests. I may, just may have to use narrow tires. I need Weld wheels because of the wheel stud arrangement I have, although I could screw in the 5/8 inch studs and use other wheels.
Well the above and the update pretty much tells the story. I hope you enjoy your look see and read. I enjoy doing it for ya'll.